Tuesday, July 26, 2016

38 weeks... are we there yet?

Admittedly, I'm typing this post out in advance so by the time you read it I may have given birth. We just don't know, so let's pretend that I'm still pregnant and know that as soon as I can, I will update you when the baby is born.

I would never leave you hanging, lambs!

37.5 weeks

Well let's see. Last week I talked about being 100% done with pregnancy. I think Matt is done with me being pregnant as well though admittedly, I haven't made him run out to get me pizza, nachos, and/or ice cream in a few days so he should stop whining. I had my weekly appointment on Thursday and I went from 50% effaced and 1 cm dilated to 50% effaced and 2.5 cm dilated. She looked back in my file and historically, I do most of my effacing when I'm in active labor so she thinks based on my last three pregnancies, I'm doing well. Especially considering I'm this much dilated already. Again, I usually don't do much of that until around week 38 to 39. The really nice thing about me and pregnancy is that I am pretty textbook and pretty consistent. She did my exam and all of a sudden, if felt like she was ripping something out of my, like you would when you take the guts out of a pumpkin. 

It didn't occur to me at all while this was happening but in the parking lot I wondered if I just had my membranes stripped? I hadn't ever had that done so I wasn't sure, and a few of my friends confirmed via text that it sure sounds like that. 

So clearly, I went home super excited that this was IT! I was going to totally go into labor! 

Except that I didn't. 

We went out to eat because it's been hotter than the gates of Hell and I'm not trying to cook in this kind of heat, and we wanted to be in the AC somewhere. Which ended up being comical because every table was full so we were given a booth, which I barely squeezed into. Matt had to help me get out while everyone was staring. Nothing humbles you more than being stuck in a restaurant booth, folks. 

Then on Friday I felt kind of blah. I wasn't sure if it was just the heat making me tired and crappy feeling (totally possible since Penelope wasn't having it either), or what. But I ended up taking a one hour nap because I just could not handle staying awake any longer, but that didn't even help. About two hours after I woke up though, I noticed I was starting to lose parts of my mucus plug, which with Olivia and Penelope were my cues that labor was coming. It was just clear, it wasn't as much as I know can and will come out, and it usually five or six hours before my contractions start I have brown/reddish goo so I knew I had some time.

This weekend I felt pretty horrible in general. I'm so run down to the point where it's become a joke. I can't walk the 20 steps from my living room to kitchen without feeling like I have run a marathon. Naps don't help. The baby, which has been pretty lazy this entire pregnancy, decides it's going to do be an American Ninja Warrior this weekend and is violently moving to the point of it being painful. Add to that and the super fun sensation of feeling like I'm being stabbed in my belly button and my butthole (sometimes at the SAME TIME) and I'm so ready. I need to be done. It's also worth noting that I'm an emotional mess. I'm crying at the drop of a dime. I don't know if it's hormones, the heat, feeling fed up, or frustrated at the lack of progress.... I'm not sure. I really don't know and it's awful. 

But overall? I'm totally ready. Assuming I'm not already in labor, my next appointment is on the 29th. My brother is rooting for me to have the baby on his birthday, the 28th, so we'll see. Cross your fingers. 

1 comment:

Mattie @ Northwest Native said...

On the plus side, even though you aren't feeling great, you'd never know by that picture of you! Looking gorgeous! I hope for your sake that you have the baby soon!